The name GEM (Gastroenterology Medical Centre and Hospital) is derived from its own speciality.
Being situated in Coimbatore, the emerging medical capital of South India, is Asia’s First and most Advanced Tertiary Health Care Centre, in the field of Gastroenterology and Laparoscopic Surgery.
It has grown exponentially gaining wide patronage of patients from India as well as abroad. GEM Hospital and Research Centre with its pioneering work has evolved to be the First and the only Centre in India with sub-specialties in Bariatric, Hepatobiliary & Liver Transplantation, Colorectal, GI Cancer Surgery, Endogynaecology Scarless Surgery, etc.
The Centre is a 200 bedded, state of the art Hospital with the most advanced and latest technology equipments and infrastructure facilities, and above all a Team of well trained experienced and dedicated doctors and para medical staffs.
GEM Hospital is also the very first centre in India to get an ISO 9001: 2008 CERTIFICATE in the field of Gastroenterology and Laproscopic surgery. It also got NABH recognition for mark of excellence in thefield of medical service. This hospital is providing world class health care with the latest diagnostic and therapeutic facilities and placed Coimbatore on the international medical map in the field of Gastroenterology and Laproscopic Surgery.
Need for Liver Transplant
Liver disease is responsible for lakhs of death each year in India. There has been a gradual rise in liver disease due to various causes. Majority of the liver disease are identified at late stage. Aim of starting this department is to provide a new life to this end stage liver disease patients.
Who needs a Liver Transplant ?
• Any patient suffering from liver cirrhosis
• Acute Liver Failure
• Hepato Cellular Carcinoma who is assessed to have a life expectancy of less than a year should be considered for a transplant
• Severity of liver disease is graded from A to C
• Usually all Grade C and most grade B patients are candidates for transplant.
A few facts about liver transplantation
• Only cure for advanced stages of cirrhosis
• Can be done by donation by a brain dead person or by a close relative with matching blood group
• Done in time, it carries 80% success rate
• Close follow up is essential after transplant
• Life can be completely normal after transplant
• Liver Transplantation (Living / Cadaveric Donor)
• Liver Resections (Laparoscopy / Open)
• Shunt Surgeries
• Radio Frequency Ablation
• Transarterial Chemoembolization (TACE)
• Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS)
- Key-hole Laparoscopic Surgery for donors to enhance their comfort
- Pediatric livertransplant programme
- Regenerative Medicine: Use of stem cells transplants to treat liver diseases without the need for livertransplantation
- Molecular research relevant to India
- Training institute in liver medicine and surgery
Department’s Lead Consultant
Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin CV
DR AS SOIN, Padmashri, has performed more than 1300 successful liver transplants – the largest in the country, and is currently the Chairman, and Chief Surgeon, Medanta Institute of Liver Surgery and Transplantation, Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon, Delhi-NCR…
Dr AS Soin is recognized all over the world over for his pioneering work in establishing liver transplantation in India from 1998, when he did the country’s first successful transplant to now, when runs the country’s largest and most successful liver transplant program at the Medanta-The Medicity, Gurgaon, Delhi-NCR.
He is currently Chairman, and Chief Surgeon, Medanta Institute of Liver Surgery and Transplantation. In June 2010, he established this first of its kind dedicated Liver Surgery Institute in Asia and one of the few in the world. It combines state-of the art facilities for living donor, cadaveric donor, pediatric and adult liver transplantation, complex liver and biliary surgery, and a large programme for stem cell and liver cell transplantation. These are cutting edge technologies that can potentially treat liver failure without transplant.
He and his team have performed more than 1300 liver transplants in India, which is the highest in the country. They currently perform 20-22 live donor liver transplants every month with 95% success – results which are at par with the world’s best centres.
In his extensive experience of 22 years as a Liver Transplant and Hepatobiliary surgeon, he has performed more than 1500 liver transplants and more than 12000 other complex liver, gall bladder and bile duct surgeries.
Besides running their own highly successful programme, he and his team are also responsible for training most of the remaining liver transplant teams in India and neighbouring countries that have recently started performing this procedure. In the past 10 years, medical and paramedical staff from more 35 transplant teams in India and abroad have visited his Department for training in various aspects of liver transplantation for varying periods of time. So far, he and his team have trained 18 Surgical Fellows, most of who are currently working as Consultant Liver Transplant Surgeons either at Medanta, or at other centres in India.
In disseminating expertise countrywide and beyond, building confidence in the procedure among patients and their referring physicians, and in moving it from experimental status to a highly successful life-saving procedure, he has in the true sense, pioneered the development of this speciality in India and the subcontinent in the last 15 years.
Dr Soin serves on the executive committees of many of the important National (IASG) and International Societies (International Liver Transplantation Society), as well as the National Advisory Board in Liver Transplantation. He is a regular Faculty member and speaker (often the only one from India) at most world fora in Liver Transplantation such as ILTS, AASLD, APDW, IHPBA, IASGO, APASL, Asian Living Donor Liver Transplant Group, Asia Pacific Organ Transplant Forum etc. He has published more than 110 research papers and book chapters, and delivered more than 750 invited lectures and papers all over the world in his field.
He is also the Editor of India’s first comprehensive book in the field called “Liver Transplantation” which has been published by Elsevier, and has already sold 12,000 copies.
For his pioneering work in Liver Surgery, he has been bestowed many National awards and accolades.
AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Dr AS Soin awarded the Padma Shri in 2010 for pioneering the development of Liver Transplantation in India.
- Received the RD Birla Award for the Best Clinician of the Year, -2010
- Zee TV – Swasth Bharat Samman Award for excellence in Medicine – 2010
- Medical Statesman of the Year 2010 – e-MEDINEWS AWARDS, 2010
- Annual research awards of the British Transplantation Society – 1994
- Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh Research Award – 1996
- Annual research awards of the British Transplantation Society – 1997
- Delhi Medical Association Distinguished Services Awards – 2005 and 2010 for
pioneering contributions in the field of Transplantation in India
- Medindia Oration Award for 2008 for pioneering contributions to Liver Transplantation in India
Orations: He has delivered 4 prestigious orations
- Naseem Ansari Oration at King George Medical College, Lucknow, 2007
- Medindia Oration at Chennai, 2008
- K.E.M. Mumbai, Oration, 2009
- Dr Phani Dhar Memorial Oration, Mumbai, March 2011
Bestowed Honorary Fellowship of the King George Medical College, Lucknow at the Annual Convocation in 2007.
Appointed Visiting Professor in Liver Surgery at K.E.M. College and Hospital, Mumbai – 2009