The blessed child of humble agriculturists, employed at a palm oil estate in Malaysia. Loads of patriotism brought him back to India, in 1967. Completed school education at the age of 21.
Dr. C. Palanivelu's profile
REACHING THE UNREACHED
The motto of GEM Charitable Foundation, for remote villages
- 3485 free Laparoscopic surgeries performed out of 43,526 consulted patients.
- 20 exclusive beds, completely free of cost, including surgery.
DEVELOPING LAPAROSCOPIC SURGERY THE MOST WANTED FOR INDIAN
First surgeon in South India to introduce Laparoscopic surgery and instrumental for developing advanced Laparoscopic surgery in India, a revolutionary concept in surgical treatment. Less morbid and faster recovery, most wanted for Indian people where 80% are agriculturists or labourers.
MAKING AFFORDABLE AND ACCESSIBLE IN ALL PARTS OF INDIA
Innovated many newer Laparoscopic surgery including cancer and developing Laparoscopic surgery into a specialty and cost effective affordable to all people irrespective of socio economic strata.
Best Doctor Award by Government of Tamil Nadu for the year 2015 recognizing for developing Laparoscopic surgery
Dr BC Roy National awardee under the category of specialty development namely ‘Laparoscopic Surgery’ 2006.
THE FIRST INDIAN
- Privileged to perform surgery and to teach in UK, USA, Latin America, China, Korea and Europe.
- In the world, to perform and complete Laparoscopic Whipple surgery for Cancer Pancreas.
- To win Silver Medal, at International Olympics for Surgery in MAS, held at Phoenix, Texas, first ever in the history of surgery.
- To win ‘ Best Video Award’ in World congress of Esophagus Japan 2010 and in EAES ( European Association of Surgeons), Stockholm, 2008
- To win ‘ International Best Video Award’ in American College of Surgeons for Stomach cancer, New Orleans US 2007
- Indian Videos in the Official webpage of Royal College of Edinburgh, UK
- As the Course Director in Japan Society of Endoscopic Surgery and Laparoscopic Surgery for Pancreatic & Oesophageal cancer
- To publish surgical textbooks, in many languages, including English, Spanish and Chinese.
- Palanivelu’s prone technique for Thoracic Laparoscopic Oesophagectomy followed globally as ‘The Standard Technique’
- Laparoscopic resection for pancreatic cancer, first to perform & largest series published in the world
- Palanivelu’s Hydatid Trocar System for Hydatid Cyst Liver Excision.
- SAGES Award Winner – for Single Incision Colorectal Cancer Resection.
- Laparoscopic Mesh Repair for Incisional Hernia with primary closure of defect
- SAGES Award and First Prize Winner – Duodeno Jejunal Bypass operation for uncontrolled Diabetes Mellitus
- Dr. B.C.Roy National Award, for Development of Specialty Medicine
- “Laparoscopic Surgery”, from President of India , in 2006.
- “Outstanding Scientific Contribution” ( Best Paper Award ) – ELSA Oral Presentation Award, Rome, in 1998
- “Best Technique Award”, World Congress of Oesophagus, ISDE, Japan, 2010
- Honorary Fellowship Award, “Honorio Causa” of University of San Americas, Peru, the oldest university of Latin America, 2012
- “Award of Fellowship Ad-Hominum”, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburg, UK 2004
- Honorary Causa – Doctorate of Health Science by Anglia Ruskin university Oxford UK 2015
- Honorary Fellowship by European Society of Endoscopic Surgeons 2014 and nominated as top two Great contributor in the field of minimal access surgery in the world.
- “Gold Medal” in honour significant contribution for development of surgery by Kazhaskhan National Association of Medicine.
- 24 Best Outstanding Videos – American College of Surgeons, SAGES University, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK and across the globe.
- Laparoscopic Surgeries for Carcinoma Oesophagus, Cancer Pancreas, Carcinoma Stomach, Colonic Resection for Cancer of Colon, Rectum and Anus.
- Laparoscopic Modified Cholecystectomy in Gall stone Disease, Choledocal Cyst Excision.
- Visiting professor and faculty to many universities in various countries.
CANCER AWARENESS PROGRAMS AND FIGHT AGAINST CANCER
- Dr. C. Palanivelu conducted a Cancer awareness programme, inaugurated by the Former President, His Excellency, Dr. A.PJ.Abdul Kalam.
- Advanced Procedures for Cancer – Thoracoscopic Oesophagectomy, Transhiatal Oesophagectomy, Radical Gastrectomy, Laparoscopic D2 Gastrectomy, Radical Colectomy, Hemicolectomy, Subtotal Colectomy, Anterior Resection (AR ), Abdominal Perianal Resection (APR ), Whipple procedures, Hepatectomy, Radical Hysterectomy
- Rotary GEM cancer screening programme 2015-2016
GEM INSTITUTE AND INTERNATIONAL TRAINING CENTRE
- Founder of GEM Institute of Endosurgery – The First of it’s kind. A National Training Centre for Basic Laparoscopic Surgeries and Speciality
Courses, with Dr.C.Palanivelu as the Chairman First institute in India offering Focused training programme
- Bariatric and Metabolic surgery
- Hepatopancreatobiliary surgery
- Digestive cancer
- First dedicated centre for Gastrointestinal Diseases in India
- GEM is the ONLY centre of Excellence in Bariatric and Diabetic Surgery in South India.
- GEM Hospital International Conferences – 1997 – 2013 : Around 30 International Conferences were held, with the highest participation being 5250 surgeon
- Post doctoral training programme DNB and FNB courses
- PhD in Minimal Access Surgery in affiliation with Datta Maghe university
TEACHER PAR EXCELLENCE
- ‘BEESMACHARIAR’ Title awarded by the Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India (AMASI)
- Dr. Palanivelu’s LIVE Workshops are highly popular due to skill of Operational Explanation.
- Faculty to most of the World Congresses of Specialties in Gastroenterology and Honarary Visiting Professor to Universities, across the globe.
- As the Course Director for AMASI, has conducted around 35 Skill Courses, Nationwide.
- Visiting Professor to many universities across the globe
- Only Indian nominated as Professor & faculty in European College of Laparoscopic Surgery and board member, university of Belgium
I- WORLD & WEB CONFERENCE
- First totally web conference was successfully conducted by GEM hospital. Neither faculty nor delegates need to come. Highly suits Indian, where in surgeons/ physician are getting opportunity to attend from their respective places.
- The AMASI Virtual University, Dr. Palanivelu’s initiative.
LEADER FOR SURGEONS
- Founder President – AMASI, Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India.
- Founder president – ISES, Indian Society for diseases of Esophagus and Stomach
- President, ASI – Association of Surgeons of India, 2007
- Chairman, Fellowship in MAS, Minimal Access Surgery training programme
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS
- Published about 140 Original Articles in the leading International Journals.
- Presented over 250 research papers in various international conferences.
AUTHOR OF BOOKS
Authored many books in Gastroenterology and Laparoscopic surgery of international repute.
First time in the history of surgery indian books got published in various languages including Spanish, Chinese Korean etc. Art of Laparoscopic surgery -Basic & advanced, Laparoscopic Hernia surgery, Atlas of laparoscopic surgery, Operative manual of Minimally Invasive Cancer Surgery are followed as standard text books globally.
AS A SOCIAL ACTIVIST
- “Fine Feather Foundation” , a Non Governmental Organisation, afiiliated to GEM Hospital and Research Centre, was inaugurated by actor Mr. Sivakumar,
- Crutches to Handicapped children joint effort GEM LION club international and – Brahmos Aerospace, New Delhi, provided crutches to poor children. Mr.A.Sivathanu Pillai, Chief Controller R&D- DRDO, Ministry of Defence initiated the programme
- GEM Cancer Awareness Initiative programme by Dr APJ Abdul Kalam.
- Conducted around 100 Free Medical Camps, in and around TamilNadu, related to Gastro Intestinal Disorders.
- Mobile clinic to ‘Reach the unreached’ free consultation and diagnostic facility at remote villages.
- First time Gastro Expo was conducted creating awareness among the public.